Here are a few links to things I like, feel are useful and worth checking out:
For lake views:
The Newby Bridge Hotel at the southern end of Lake Windermere with views down the lake and stunning landscaped gardens.
For idyllic countryside:
The Damson Dene Hotel in the beautiful Lyth Valley which is in between Bowness and Kendal, a real hidden gem. Restaurant and bar with private leisure facilities mean you don’t need to leave the grounds.
For town accommodation:
You can’t go wrong with Kendal as a base for exploring northern Lancashire and the Lake District. The Riverside Hotel in Kendal is easy to get to from the M6 either north or south and has a direct rail link to Windermere.
General Travel Resources:
http://lakedistrictgrandtour.co.uk/ – “A Lake District Grand Tour” website and soon to be published book by Mike Carden, “Pedalling through Lakeland: The Challenge, The History, The Wildlife, The Scones”
- mapsculpture.co.uk – Stunning 3D Lake District raised relief maps.
- Stay Lake District Accommodation – www.staylakedistrictaccommodation.co.uk
- Stay Cumbria the Lake District – www.staycumbriathelakedistrict.co.uk
- Visit Lake Windermere – www.visitlakewindermere.co.uk
- Cumbria Food Blog – www.cumbria-food-blog.co.uk
- Green Tourism Blog – www.green-tourism-blog.co.uk
- Dog Friendly Accommodation Blog – www.dog-friendly-accommodation.co.uk
- Lake District and Cumbria blog – www.ruggedcom.co.uk